Did you know that today is National Running Day? I didn’t, until I looked at the internet, and it started popping up all over the place. Apparently it’s the first Wednesday of every June, which just happens to be today. I tried looking up the origin of the day, but no luck. I assume some running store or racing events company started it to try to get more people to run and buy their things. Why else would you go to the trouble of making a holiday, if you didn’t want to sell things?
I went to www.runningday.org and they let me make this cool little badge. They also have suggestions for ten ways to celebrate National Running Day. Here’s the ten ways that I have celebrated National Running Day so far, even though some of the time I forgot that I was doing these things in celebration, and not just doing them normal.
- Slept in until 10 to make sure I was rested for all of the Running Day festivities to come
- Took a BOSU strength class at the MAC. I usually resist going to the MAC, but in honor of Running Day I went there anyway. For those of you who don’t know what a BOSU strength class is, it’s a class where you do really simple exercises except they’re way harder than they should be. Because you do them all on a silly little half-ball.
- Set a sandwich on fire. I told my mom about this and she laughed for a second and then said, “wait, you mean literally?” I want to know what else “setting a sandwich on fire” could mean besides setting a sandwich on fire. Setting food on fire gets me really pumped up to go running. There’s a picture of it above, because I couldn’t get blogger to let me have a picture inside a numbered list.
- Went shopping for my puppy’s 5th birthday. Because it’s his birthday tomorrow, and he needs to be pampered and get tons of presents so he keeps being the best running buddy of all time.
- Made some soda with my Soda Stream water and some boysenberry syrup. This was my National Running Day running fuel. I was trying to be festive, but I don’t really recommend this.
- Ran a track workout with a running group, at my old high school. I like to go run there once in a while and show off how far I’ve come since high school. We did 4×800, and it was probably the most running-y part of my National Running Day
- Declared my passion for running. This was one of the suggested activities from the Running Day website. All I had to do was put that fancy badge on my facebook page, it wasn’t even hard!
- Ordered some Thai food. I think this is one of the most traditional customs of National Running Day (and is kind of like No. 10 on the website’s list: “treat yourself like a champion,” since champions always eat Thai food).
- Blogged about National Running Day. Because what good is running if it’s not being blogged about?
- Watched this video about Miley and Liam’s recent engagement. Because if there’s one thing I love as much as running and blogging, it’s celebrity gossip!
What did you do to celebrate National Running Day? I hope you had half as much fun as me!