Sometimes I feel too old to keep writing about myself all the time, or just that my public sharing about my running/life should be more eloquent or insightful than it was five or six years ago. But then I read all my other favorite blogs, and if I look hard I realize that their writing hasn’t gotten any fancier (no offense), and I still love creeping on their lives just as much, so I should be returning the favor. SO, here are the top five things that have been going on in my life (that I feel like sharing with you, not in chronological order):
1. HEATHCLIFF – A few weeks ago a new little monster came into my life. His name is Heathcliff, and it has nothing to do with Wuthering Heights. He’s blowing up my Instagram with his adorable face but in real life he’s a little terror that just poops and bites you a lot. I’m so excited for him to be like three months older, or whenever it is that he doesn’t require 2AM poo breaks and stops making you thinking he’s potty trained and then surprise-pees in unexpected places immediately after being outside for an hour. I am half in-love and half pretty annoyed. Going from a calm and loving seven year old dog to this baby gremlin has been an abrupt change.
2. TRACK – This spring I was invited to be the head coach for track/field team of 3rd-5th graders. I was moderately concerned about the field part of that, since I never did any field events, and basically only did long distance on the track side, but the program coordinator (my first cross-country coach!) created a detailed workout for each practice and I had a field coach with me so it turned out pretty great. Another great thing is that I discovered that while middle schoolers were scary to me in middle school and are scary to me as an adult coach, grade school kids are amazing. They run when you tell them to run, they’re excited about everything, and have not yet been tricked into believing that being a terrible person is the way to get ahead in life.
3. ARGENTINA – I went there! And watched Murphy and Andres get married! This was a couple months ago now, but it was awesome. It was my first time in South America and my first gay Jewish wedding, so I got to add a lot to my resume with that trip.
4. YARDWORK – Did I ever mention I bought a house last year? I did. Houses are super easy to take care of and don’t take up any extra time. I never do things like spend the entire weekend sweeping water off the roof (because why would anyone ever have to do that?) and thinking about the mold growing in my shower. Never. And what I definitely do is put in this awesome patio where I’m going to have a hammock/fire pit/very expensive water feature soon. Also I’m having other stuff done in the yard, and it’s taking a while. Normally I wouldn’t count yard improvements as a major life event, but given how much time I spend taking Heathcliff into the yard to go poo, the state of my yard is a very big deal right now. And currently the state is under construction and filled with poo.
5. CROSSFIT – After a long time of wanting to try this out I finally did at a neighborhood gym, and it was pretty fun. I did my free week, and on the last time I did a sloppy box jump and bashed up my shin really bad. That was right when Pascal was getting really bad, so not only did I not have a healthy model to help take pictures of my shinjury, I also gave up all extracurricular activities. Then I went to Argentina, then I got real lazy… and that brings us to now. But I’m trying out a new Crossfit gym recommended by my amazing Crossfit/dancing friend Sadie, which hopefully will have a little bit better program for beginners. This happens tomorrow, so I can’t tell you anything else about it.
There you go, that’s my life stuff for now.